Multidisciplinary Arts Residencies for Older Adults
Creative aging programs are in demand because they break down the chronic isolation and passive existence of many elders and unlock their creative potential. ESTA's lifelong learning programs help to increase morale, enhance phyiscal health, develop meaningful relationships, and ultimately redefine what it means to grow older.
EXPLORE & DISCOVER
The Legacy Arts programs' integration of personal reminiscence, oral history, and art making, makes up the core of ESTA's mission. Through art forms that include visual arts, theater arts, writing, storytelling, music, dance and digital media, Legacy Arts residencies encourage older adults to explore rich themes or topics relevant to their lives.
Residencies run 10 to 24 weeks and can be up 2 hours per session. They also include a community event that celebrates the participants' creativity.
Our goals are that participants learn art-making skills and that the program be intellectually and creatively stimulating, engaging participants cognitively, creatively, and socially. The goals of our arts programs are for older adults to: master the skills of an art form; creative translation of that knowledge; group dynamics that grow and strengthen as a result of time spent together; increased social engagement, including an enhanced sense of engagement with the neighborhood; rediscovery of a sense of control and self-worth.
Here are a sampling of ESTA's Legacy Arts residencies:
- Available to ALL community-based organizations that work with older adults
- Older Adults 55 and up!
- 10 to 20-week residencies
- Focus in Theater, collage, print-making, sculpture, and digital media, music and dance
- All programs take field trips that enhance what the participants are learning
- All programs begin with a planning meeting for administrators
- All programs end with a culminating event celebrating the group's work